Saturday, July 21, 2007

My, How Time Flies!

Lo Siento, por favor! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Gee, I remembered my Spanish AND Latin!

On the BC front, it's just rather ho hum, and I rather like it that way. Suffice it to say that after consulting 4 different plastic surgeons, I finally came to terms that reconstruction just wasn't a viable option for me, so in May I got fitted for some very nice prosthesises. I got to pick out the cup size, and we went from there. Mine are "climate controlled" with special wicking properties, or so they say. However, even in this heat wave, I've been going much of the time with the "no front fenders" option.

One of my young Bosom Buddies (a year ahead of me in diagnosis)had reconstruction last fall, and had told me then that she was very pleased with the results and that she'd do it again if she had to. But now the past two months they found her BC had metastasized to her femur. They replaced the hip, reamed out the marrow down to her knee, and put in a titanium rod. Now they found a spot on one of her vertebrates. This week she told me that given the choice now, she would NOT have had reconstruction. Please keep Barbara in your prayers.

My absolute lymphs stayed within normal and just came out of the top end in my June checkup. Next checkup in September.

I was informed yesterday that I have diabetes. I don't know much, but will be scheduled for "Diabetes School" soon. Both of us have to attend to make it all work.

Finally, since I won't be needing the excess tissue that was left for reconstruction, I'm scheduled for "cleanup" surgery Aug. 16. Dr. promises that the tubes this time won't hurt as much. We'll see.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Wagner said...

Margaret, I am so very, very glad you posted. I really was worried and had done some searching to see if you had posted anywhere else and I kept checking here periodically. I can certainly see taking a break from posting and thinking about all this cancer stuff. I did it myself several months ago. I am very glad your checkups are showing things are going very well.

Welcome to the diabetes club. Since I was diagnosed the year before my CLL, I don't see it as that big a deal compared to everything else. At least I had time to first learn to live with that. Now my wife was just diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago and just started taking medication this past month. Just one more thing to keep life interesting. The class will help you tremendously, as I know it did help me.

Now young lady, don't scare us again with such a long gap between posts.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home