Sunday, August 06, 2006

Only Three More Days of Radiation!

Yep! Only three more days. I see the oncologist on Thursday, the 10th, and hopefully get a release that I have to turn in to my school district by the 11th. I would like to have a pet scan or some sort of diagnostic test to prove that nothing is left lurking around, but what could they do? They can't do a mammogram or MRI since there's nothing there to do it on. A blood test would only show where my reds, whites and platelets are, and a bone marrow biopsy wouldn't make sense. Besides, that's pretty barbaric, and I've learned enough about BMB's to know I shouldn't be needing one unless I was going for a stem cell transplant or in a clinical trial.

My radiation area is starting to peel, and the newest med (salve) that the doctor ordered has really helped with the pain. Now why didn't they give that to me sooner? That's the third topical that I've tried. The doctor had even suggested I use one or two of my hydrocodones to let me have a night where I could sleep last week. One night two tabs didn't help much because then my whole body started itching. So I had to go find the benadryl and take a couple doses of that before I was able to actually get any sleep. I believe that was around 2:30 AM.

That's something that concerns me. I noticed that when I had the bilateral that morphine made me itch intensely. Having had experience with Hospice, I know they give the patient morphine for the pain at the end. Now if I'm itchy from it, what will they be able to use when it's my time? Now that's scary! I'm also in a pithy mood right now because one of our nicest CLL'ers just died last week. His CLL had turned into the deadly "Richter's Transformation," and that's when you know it's all over. My personal bias is that it's the treatment that causes "Richter's Transformation." Another friend had left us earlier this year after doing everything he could to fight the dragon and then moving to NM to be close to his beloved Guadalupe Mountains. He even got to play his guitar in the Carlsbad Caverns and shared that with the rest of us CLL'ers.

Next week on the 15th, I see the plastic surgeon and my dentist. Then I think I'll be done with medical stuff for awhile. I figure we'll do the reconstruction next summer so I don't have to use up my sick leave.

This has been a long haul for me. Almost 8 months from when it all started. I never realized that this journey would take so long. Guess it ain't over till it's over, I guess.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richter's Transformation can occur in untreated patients. The rate is somewhere between 3-15%.

There is some evidence that immuno-suppressive regimes can increase the risk of transformation (or an unrelated malignancy). That includes fludarabine and Campath.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't know that, but now I do. Course in my case, I guess being treated for BC increases my risk in that area anyway. It's always something to worry about. Again, thank you.

8:16 PM  
Blogger John Wagner said...

Today is the 10th. Are you done now? Did you get your release? I sure hope so. Sending good thoughts your way.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cousin Margaret, Cousin Kathleen here....Requested that Connie send me this after I heard what you have been going through! Read the entire blog and I am so sorry about all you have endured. I understand you have visitors coming in a few hours - what fun for all of you! Saw many cousins at Lucille and Maurice's party last week.

Will keep in touch and wishing nothing but the best for you!
Love, Kathleen

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home