Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Day 13

My blood counts on Monday were: WBC-23.2; Absolute Lymphs-10.5; Neuts-11.3; Platelets-235. The neuts really went up. Of course the lymphs are at their lowest level since my CLL diagnosis in February of 1999. Platelets are also at an all-time low, but still within a decent range. I’ve got a few sore spots around my neck. Plus there’s a goofy sore line from my underarm where they did the sentinel node biopsy that runs down the inside of my arm to my thumb joint. Every morning, the incision area becomes hard and swells up to the size of an egg. A bit of light massaging seems to bring that down. I believe it’s a buildup of lymph.

I’m actually feeling fine right now. I’ve been on medical leave since March 6th mainly because I need to not be in a situation where I could pick up whatever is out there. The kids I work with are pretty fragile themselves, and they seem to catch everything and bring it to class. I’ve also pulled myself out of this year’s collective bargaining, and other union activities such as next week’s state representative assembly in Tacoma. I especially miss my Spokane Alliance work, but they understand I’m there for them in spirit. I really need this blessed time of reduced stress to take care of me. So now I just referee the dog and cat fights in our house. Of course, I’m sweating my next chemo go-round tomorrow. Our daughters are going to be here this weekend—maybe taking care of Mom and Dad.

Every first and third Wednesdays my “Bosom Buddies” support group meets. I’ve been to 2 meetings so far. These buddies have been invaluable. They’re all so willing to share, answer questions, and reassure us newbies that we’ll get through this. We had homemade ice cream, brownies, and cinnamon rolls tonight. Remind me not to eat supper before going there. I picked up a couple head coverings. Some are quite cute, but on me, cute doesn’t exist. I also got the names and addresses of places to go for wigs that may be free or very inexpensive. They swear I’m going to wake up tomorrow morning without most of my hair. Gee, I wonder what would happen if I stayed up tonight? ;-)

Be well,
Margaret

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home