Saturday, March 04, 2006

My BC Journey

Over Winter Break, my husband expressed concern about a lump on my left breast. I've always been "lumpy" with fibrocystic disease, so this wasn't really unusual. However, when I stood in front of the mirror, I could see some irregular "puckering" you might say.

So, first day after the holidays, (Jan. 3, 2006) I called the Imaging Co. I already had a mammagram appointment set up for 3 weeks later, but just felt I needed to have this checked out sooner. "No, your appt. is only a screening one, and you'll need to have your doctor set up a diagnostic one." My doctor's office wanted to see me first, so that morning they got me in. The Nurse Practioner got me in later that day to one of the local hospital's breast care clinic. So far so good. The hospital even put an ID band on my wrist. After about 15 mammagrams, 3 or four punch ones, a couple ultrasounds, they could find nothing except a lot of reservoirs. Oh, and the local Imaging Co. and said hospital no longer share records in a timely manner, so the radiologist had nothing with which to compare anything.

Of course everyone could feel this hard mass, but it just didn't show anything. The radiologist suggested an MRI, but again needed a doctor to order it.

My GP sent me to a surgeon, who ordered an MRI. MRI showed a 6 cm. mass in left breast, a couple suspicious spots in right, and another big spot in left. So, now the surgeon ordered another MRI w/biopsy and clips. The results were that the 6 cm. mass was invasive lobular carcinoma. I got the word February 8th.

Feb. 15th, I saw Dr. C., my new oncologist. He ordered a sentinel node biopsy, bone scan, CT scan, etc. So on the 17th I had 4 nodes removed under my arm after injections of radioactive dye. With the exception of the first node, the nodes were mostly clear for BC cells, but were full of small lymphocytic lymphoma cells. I've had chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) for over 7 years. No treatment necessary for CLL.

The tumor is still in my breast. Dr. C. had me start chemo with adriamycin and cytoxan on March 2nd. The plan is for 4 to 6 sessions every 2 weeks. This is to hopefully both shrink the tumor so it can be totally removed and to kill any BC cells that have escaped elsewhere in my body.

The first session went well from 1PM to 4 PM. Other sessions won't take as long. The nurse found a vein near my wrist that they used. I could get a port in my chest, but that's a 2 hour surgical proceedure that I'm not sure I need, and they gave me hints on how to get a vein to present itself next time. (salty foods the night before and tons of water). Of course now, I realize they have to take blood 3 days before my next chemo, but that can be inside the elbow. My left arm can no longer be used for blood pressures, shots, or blood draws because of the missing lymph nodes. So it's all going to be done in my right arm from now on. They gave me anti-nausea meds, and so far I'm doing alright on that end. Tired a lot already, though. I also got a shot in my tummy to rebuild my blood cells when they come crashing.

I went to work the next day. However, I'm going to have to stay away from there very soon. I work with developmentally delayed 12-14 year olds who have many colds, viruses, strep, impetigo, etc. Dr. C. wrote a letter requesting that I not work during this time. So I'll have to take care of that business before I'm totally gone. I believe I can still work next week, but we will take it one day at a time.

I feel betrayed by the medical system in that I was never given an MRI before. Both my mother's mother and sister died from breast cancer. I don't know what kind they had, but I'd been very good about having yearly mammagrams. An MRI every 5 years would have given me better odds. Mammagrams are good at detecting the 85% breast cancers. But I had to be in the 15% that get the lobular kind that mammagrams don't see. If my tumor were the size of a penny, it already would have been 5 to 8 years along. But 6 cm? My gosh, how long has it been there? That's like THREE pennies! So now I have to take the chemo because it's over 5 cm. and presents itself not as a round glob, but as a tree root--sorta with fingers. It's a cost vs. benefits thing with the insurance companies, but tell me where it's any benefit to have to go this route just to save a couple MRI's? I'm not suggesting MRI's for everyone. Just those with a history and lumpy breasts. And it needn't be every year. From what I've read, 5 year, or maybe even 10 year increments would be satisfactory. IMHO...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home