Thursday, March 09, 2006

Goodbye Dana and Kirby

Right now I'm feeling pretty good. Been getting up at 5 AM, staying up till 7ish, then a 2 1/2 hour nap. A morning shower really makes me energized. My headache has been gone both yesterday and today. That was something. Felt like an awl poked into my head to just behind the temple, then every so often some devilish, invisible HUGE no-see-em would fly by and hit the end of the awl with a hammer!

Been thinking about Dana Reeve and Kirby Puckett. Dana was amazing in how she stood by Christopher Reeve. I'm not sure I'd have had that kind of strength and devotion to pull it off with such grace. And now their son has to be without BOTH parents. This is almost unimaginable!

Kirby? Well, I've been to only one major league baseball game in my life. It was in the old Seattle Kingdome. And although the rest of the family was there to see Ken Griffey Jr. tie the record for consecutive games with a hit, I was all excited because Kirby was going to be there! I'm not the most informed sports fan, (I leave that up to my son-in-law) so that whole experience was very interesting to me. We sat down the 3rd baseline, where we could almost touch the pitchers coming out of their bullpen. I also noticed some tall really UGLY guy who came out to warm up. And he looked right AT me! I never knew that pitchers could be so tall. I mean, why wasn't this guy playing basketball? But man, was he ugly!

Anyway, Kirby did not disappoint me! He hustled out there in the field and caught every fly and grounder that came to him. He was just so cute when he batted, too. There was just something about him. A sort of joy at just being able to play the game. I heard his old coach saying that he and Kirby knew just how popular he was in the Upper Midwest by the number of dogs named Kirby at that time. I know he was well regarded in the Twin Cities for his charitable works, and that's how I intend to remember the man.

Godspeed to you, Dana and Kirby!

1 Comments:

Blogger John Wagner said...

Margaret,

Hope this finds you still feeling well. I had to search back through the last several ACOR digests to find the link. The night I read it, I didn't have time. Then with 'Chemo Brain' (or old age), I didn't remember it until tonight. Read your entire blog. Good job! You are in my prayers!

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home